1.So you download drupal to rolandallen(username of computer/Sites
2. Edit hosts file in /etc/hosts - add your new servername as before..
3. Edit httpd-vhosts located in /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf - copy and paste as before
4. Restart apache by opening terminal and typing
sudo apachectl restart
4. Open sequel pro - create a database (add databse)
5. open firefox and type your servername you wrote in hosts file (eg hello.test).
6. you should see the drupal install profile.
7. you may see error seeing missings files directory and no settings.php file _
You can always refer to drupals install.txt file in root level folder of drupal
YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO NAVIGATE AROUND IN THE TERMINAL BETWEN FOLDERS USING THE COMMAND cd and ls (cd means change directory and ls means list folders )... if you ever get lost just type cd and your return to the very top level of your folders.....
8. open terminal navigate to your drupal folder ie in terminal
cd Sites/your drupal_folder_name
chmod a+w sites/default
b. Missing settings file.
Drupal will try to automatically create a settings.php configuration file,
which is normally in the directory sites/default (to avoid problems when
upgrading, Drupal is not packaged with this file). If auto-creation fails,
you will need to create this file yourself, using the file
sites/default/default.settings.php as a template.
cp sites/default/default.settings.php sites/default/settings.php
Next, grant write privileges to the file to everyone (including the web
server) with the command:
chmod a+w sites/default/settings.php
Be sure to set the permissions back after the installation is finished!
chmod go-w sites/default/settings.php