Magento is a well established ecommerce platform that does an excellent job for SEO out of the box. Where Magento becomes limited is in its flexibilty and minimal role as a content management system. Magento is an ecommerce store first and CMS second, therefore adding rich content such as blogs, articles, news, tagged vocabularies and so on. One easy option to overcome this is to run an independent cms platform in a sub folder or sub domain such as Drupal or Wordpress. In terms of On page SEO we consider the following to be primary importance.
Key factors for successful Magento SEO
- Navigation Hierarchy
- Canonical URL structure
- Page Speed Improvements using server side compression and Magento's built in cache.
- Professionally written SEO Keyword rich Category descriptions
- PHTML and XML layouts (this is the actual design of the website / theme) with content rich sections higher in source code
- Image optimisation (standard practice)
- Alternative keyword category display options (eg manufacturer product lists etc)
- Social Media Plugins and integration
Who else uses Magento?
- Paul Smith
- and many more...